Thursday 2 January 2020

Redeemed, grateful and obedient

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high" (Leviticus 26:13).
God had done something very wonderful for His people, Israel. He redeemed them. He delivered them. Now, he expects them to live in obedience to Him. Their obedience is to be grounded in their gratitude - and their gratitude is to be grounded in His redemption. 
This is what He said to them: "“‘But if you will not listen to Me and carry out all these commands, 15 and if you reject My decrees and abhor My laws and fail to carry out all My commands and so violate My covenant, 16 then I will do this to you: I will bring on you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and sap your strength. You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it. 17 I will set My face against you so that you will be defeated by your enemies; those who hate you will rule over you, and you will flee even when no one is pursuing you." (Leviticus 26:14-17).
God is still the God of redemption, the God who delivers his people - and we are still to be His grateful and obedient people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Jesus died for us ...

What do we mean when we say, "Jesus died for us"? Who are the "us" for whom Jesus died? A number of years ago, I read...